Try out our coaching services with the on-demand, Team Performance Coaching sessions. We offer a number of pricing levels based on which of our Consultants have availability in the calendar. Work directly with Mishkin Berteig, CEO and Founder of BERTEIG, or work with a Senior Consultant with years of experience… or work with an Agile Coach in Training for the most cost-effective option.
Create an elite team.
Not only do we offer world-class coaching ourselves, we have also worked successfully with large companies to develop their own elite Agile coaches from within.
Transform Your Business
BERTEIG Delivers Virtual Agile Transformation Services for Enterprise and Business Agility
Our Real Agility™ Program is uniquely designed for leaders and company stakeholders who are committed to solving real human and organizational challenges. Through close collaboration, our Agile Coaching includes systematic assessments and careful analysis paired with real-world recommendations from Canada’s most respected and experienced Agile, Scrum, Kanban, SAFe, and Lean consultants.
BERTEIG Agile Coaching helps teams and management to apply methods such as Scrum, Kanban, OpenAgile and Extreme Programming, as well as team-level function in a SAFe release train. Your Agile transformation or Agile implementation is super-charged with our help.
We’re not here to break things.
“Going Agile” should be a transformative process. It doesn’t have to be a disruptive one.
BERTEIG Agile Coaching
As a Canadian Agile agency, we provide coaching with our in-house consultants and with our network of independent coaches. Most agencies and consulting organizations attempt to create a dependence on their services.
We provide complete educational programs that help you become independent of our help as quickly as possible while still maintaining excellent business results.
BERTEIG offers agile coaching and agile consulting support for organizations going through enterprise agile transformations, digital transformations and agile adoptions. Our Agile Coaching experts have multiple years of experience each working with agile methods including Scrum, Kanban and SAFe.
We can provide you with daily-rate agile coaches at the team, management or leadership level. These coaches will work within your existing transformation program or help you build your program from the ground up. Achieve REAL Agility with our help.
Our coaches agree to the Agile Coach Code of Ethics – an expanded version of the Agile Alliance’s draft Agile Coaching Code of Ethics.
What is an Agile coach?
How can we help you?
You know the problem. Let us help find the solution.
Every organization is different. When it comes to coaching, there is no one-size-fits-all model. We can work with you to identify your biggest problem areas and help you find the solutions without disrupting your team or breaking things.
Talk to us today and let’s solve your problems together.
The Map of Real AgilityTM
The BERTEIG Agile Experience.
BERTEIG Agile Coaching delivers results that transform your organization with new thinking, innovations, and strategies rather than simply supporting and enhancing traditional methods. Agile frameworks allow organizations to deliver business value quickly. The benefits of these frameworks are clear: projects are more profitable, easier to deliver, and provide transformational change at the organizational level.
Learn more about the Real Agility™ Maturity Model.
Start with where you are.
REALagility™ Assessment – Survey & Analysis (RAASA)
Knowing where you are in your Agile journey is half the battle. Most managers are stressed and wish they could understand the points of disconnect between their executives goals and the needs of their team.
RAASA will help to break through the fog and understand the culture of the department so that the stressors can be tackled head on.
The comprehensive survey generates a report that can be put into action. The recommendations focus on strategies to make huge impactful contributions to help managers to relieve their stress, garner respect and provide massive value for any company by highlighting cultural problems that are holding the organisation back.
The BERTEIG ‘Agile Transformation’ Secret Revealed.
Real Agility™ Results
- 3x faster time-to-market
- 90% drop in defects and errors
- 2x to 10x productivity
- Time for innovation
- Happy stakeholders
- Market leadership
- Customer delight
- Employee pride in work
- Management relief
- Leadership hope
- Community respect
- Cultural transformation
BERTEIG Agile Coaching Experts
Mishkin Berteig Chief Executive Officer
ICAgile Authorized Instructor, ICAgile Certified Professional (ICP)
Leadership Circle Profile Certified, Master of OpenAgile, Team Kanban Practitioner
BSc, Computational Science
“For the first time in thirty years, I love my work. I wish you had come to help us decades ago!” – Mining Projects Shift Manager at Suncor.
Mishkin Berteig has been improving the lives of managers and their staff since 1995. Mishkin co-founded BERTEIG in 2004. Mishkin is committed to helping individuals, teams and organizations to transform their way of working and achieve Real Agility™.
Mishkin has assisted organizations of all sizes to make the transformation from traditional methods (or no method at all) to Agile methods (Scrum, Lean, Kanban, OpenAgile). Mishkin has helped with culture change, change management, executive management coaching, Agile management, Agile product, project and operations management, Agile teamwork and Agile engineering practices. Mishkin is a primary author of the Real Agility™Program, BERTEIG’s solution for organizations to achieve higher levels of organizational agility.
Mishkin has developed and delivered Agile training both in public and in-house seminars for over 15,000 people around the world. Courses have been as short as three hour intensive seminars and as long as five day immersive boot-camps, and audiences have ranged from junior team members to senior executives of Fortune 50 organizations. Mishkin has been a Certified Scrum Trainer (CST) since 2005 and is the longest-standing CST in Canada.
Mishkin writes regularly for the BERTEIG blog with hundreds of articles about management, agility, teamwork, efficiency and creating beautiful work environemnts. Mishkin is also the author of several books including the in-progress “Win As A Manager – Delivering Massive Results, Creating Beautiful Work Environments and Ending Stress”.
Leadership Coaching/Training Highlights:
- 2001: Advised the CIO of Charles Schwab, Geoff Penny, on Extreme Programming and Agile in the IT department as to how it may improve their existing Rational Unified Process implementation.
- 2003: Workshop for CTO Rich Freyberg and direct reports of Schwab Capital Markets on Agile methods, focus on XP. The highlight of this experience was telling Rich to “shut up” because he was constantly interrupting the proceedings. (We had a long pre-existing relationship before that event – I didn’t get fired.)
- 2004-2005: Consultant, coach and trainer at Capital One in Richmond Virgina. Worked closely with another consultant on a major assessment/report for the CTO Gregor Bailar and then worked with numerous senior managers as a coach and consultant. Also worked closely with a number of well-known agilists including Mary Poppendieck, Michael Hamman, Michael Spayd, and others.
- 2005-2006: Certified Scrum Master class for the Director and Senior Managers at Siemens, Trango division, co-trained with Jeff Sutherland. Followed up with them for the next 18 months as their Agile coach and trainer, working directly with their senior managers.
- 2006: Coach at RWDI working with the team on a Scrum adoption. A team-level crisis escalated to working with one of the VPs on a financial model to show the value of focus and rapid delivery.
- 2007: Custom training for Dan Lesage, Software Development Director at Adobe and his senior managers. Focus on solving change management problems.
- 2008: Lots of work with leaders and managers at Research in Motion (RIM) – BERTEIG got fired, eventually. Leadership didn’t enjoy looking at cultural issues in the organization. No names here, but it was a great learning experience for us to see how deeply culture matters in attempting to do a transformation.
- 2009: Another bad experience: delivered a private training for OpenText to the CIO Nicholas Oddson and his senior leadership team. We totally bombed it and were not invited back. Lots of learning here too.
- 2009-2011: Strategic consulting, executive presentations, Agile Coach Training for RBC and the newly-formed Agile Centre of Excellence.
- 2010: Training, coaching and consulting at Suncor in Fort McMurray. First major engagement in a non-software Agile Transformation. Worked with Darin Zandee, Superintendent responsible for 200 people on the mine site, and his senior managers. Included one-on-one leadership coaching for Darin.
- 2010-2011: Group leadership coaching and workshops for Cam Crosbie, AVP then CIO of Equitable Life, and his business peers. Focus on helping Cam and his peers function effectively as a leadership team in the context of an Agile Transformation.
- 2011-2014: Training, coaching and consulting at Schlumberger Beijing Geosciences Centre working with Pearl Chu, Technology Centre Manager, in Beijing. Included leadership coaching for Pearl, Agile Coach Training for senior and mid-level managers reporting to Pearl.
- 2012-2013: Leadership coaching and consulting over 18 months for Frank Leong, VP Business Technology and his colleagues including Michael O’Sullivan, President. Included a systematic leadership development program of our own design which has evolved over time to become the “Real Agility Leadership Track” and the “Real Agility Management Track”.
- 2013: Executive presentation on Agile Transformation for FreshBooks leadership team.
- 2014-2015: Multiple leadership presentations and workshops with Simon Palmer, CIO and his senior leadership team at LoyaltyOne. Focus on leading with integrity during their Agile Transformation.
- 2016: MAJOR HIGHLIGHT: Attended and received Leadership Circle Profile Certification™. The Leadership Circle system has informed our work with leaders ever since.
- 2016-2017: Focus on internal organizational development at BERTEIG and personal leadership development. Did no significant work with leaders in client organizations this year in order to focus on cleaning up our own house, so to speak.
- 2018-2020: Design and deliver a custom leadership program for Scotiabank over 18 months covering mindset, Agile methods, leadership development, lean thinking, community development, technical excellence, and organizational change. Roughly equivalent to an MBA focused on leadership and organizational agility. Delivered to a cohort of 21 senior and mid-level managers.
- 2019: Work with my own coaches to develop their leadership coaching ability, primarily focused on our engagement with Trader working with Steve Maidment, Chief Delivery Officer.
- 2021-2022: One-on-One management agility coaching for the senior leadership team of a global luxury brand in the hospitality industry.
Select Client List:
- Banking: Scotiabank, RBC, BMO, TD Canada Trust, CIBC, HomeTrust, Capital One, Charles Schwab, Key Bank
- Energy/Resources: Schlumberger, Bruce Power, Suncor Energy, Geosoft
- Insurance: Great West Life, Liberty Mutual, Equitable Ins., Empire Life, Economical Ins. Grp.
- Telecom: Ericsson, Blackberry, Siemens, Telus, Rogers, Bell, Nortel
- Media: Globe and Mail, Shaw Media, ZU, Canoe.ca, CBC, Glacier Media, Post Media, TV Ontario, Comcast
- Loyalty: LoyaltyOne, AIMIA, Points.com, Empathica
- Technology: Adobe, Blueprint, Freshbooks, Intuit, Irdeto, Kijiji, MyPlanet Digital, OpenText
- Education: Xello/Career Cruising, Desire2Learn, Queens University, University of Guelph
- Government: Goverment of Canada, Government of Ontario, City of Fort McMurray,
- Other: App Annie, Modernizing Medicine, Trader.ca, D+H, Workopolis, 407ETR, British Counsel, PHH, Ganz, RWDI
Certifications and Accreditations:
Mishkin has been trained by the gurus in the Agile movement including Ken Schwaber, Jeff Sutherland, Mary Poppendieck, Esther Derby, and Mike Cohn.
Additionally, Mishkin has co-trained with or co-consulted with Ken Schwaber, Jeff Sutherland, Mary Poppendieck, Sanjiv Augustine and Michael Hamman,
- Certified Scrum Trainer®, Path to CSP Educator®, CSP-PO, CSP-SM, SAFe Program Consultant
- ICAgile Authorized Instructor, ICAgile Certified Professional (ICP)
- Leadership Circle Profile Certified, Master of OpenAgile, Team Kanban Practitioner
- BSc, Computational Science
An engaging, thorough look at best practices behind true product ownership and working within Scrum. Expert instruction that was never boring and full of insightful learnings. It goes without saying that Mishkin knows his stuff, and is eager to teach Real Agility and Scrum to the world. – Matthew Parkinson, Director of Digital Product Management, Investors Group/ IGM Financial 2019
Mr. Berteig is a wonderful trainer and presenter of the materials covered. His experience in leading discussions around the various concepts and facilitating exercises used to feel the effect of Scrum were appropriate in relation to the audience’ prior experience and knowledge of the topic. – Simonne Cormier, Training Development and Coordinator, Veterans Affairs Canada, 2019
- Over 23 years practising, managing and coaching Agile Process and Development
- Over 14 years experience teaching Scrum (and Agile) in a classroom
- Over 11 years experience applying Agile outside of technology environments
Other Interesting Facts about Mishkin Berteig
Mishkin has four children. His oldest is nearly 24 and his youngest is 12. Mishkin is, of course, extremely proud of his children who are all artists of various types… following firmly in the family tradition. Mishkin’s parents, step-parents and siblings are also mostly artists.
Mishkin worked for Peters Surveys Ltd. as a junior surveyor’s assistant in the late 80’s and early 90’s on and off. One of the big projects Mishkin assisted with was the Husky Oil Upgrader project just outside of Lloydminster, SK. Mishkin did both field work and site map calculation work for the grading of the site prior to construction.
Mishkin travelled to Belize on a one-month service project with a number of other youth in early 1990. Mishkin’s flights were eventful including a last-minute aborted landing due to a storm around Cancun. Mishkin travelled throughout Belize including Corazal, San Ignacio and Dangriga.
Mishkin has a few hobbies and past-times that generally follow in a 10-year cycle: custom Lego building, robotics, coin collecting, mathematics, and music composition. Of these, Lego and mathematics are currently at the fore of his attention.
Mishkin grew up in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan and loves that city very much. He hasn’t lived there for many years, but when he returns he often is overwhelmed by emotion as he visits favourite spots such as the University of Saskatchewan campus, the bridges and river valley, and the Broadway strip.
“Leadership Agility – Luck, Love and Truthfulness” – 20181011 – Agile North Meetup
“Agile Architecture Master Class” – 20180515 – Private Client
“Scrum vs. Kanban vs. ADKAR vs. Kotter – Which Is Best For You?” – 20171031 – Global Scrum Gathering Dublin
“Real Agility for Everyone” – 20170921 – Private Client
“Doubling Productivity with Real Agility” – 20170613 – Project Management Institute SWO Chapter
“Launching Agile Teams – The Skills Matrix” – 20161114 – Toronto Agile Conference
David Vicentin Senior Agile/Lean Consultant
David Vicentin has delivered Operational Excellence and Agile implementation for the past 15 years as a management consultant. His clients come from diverse industries in North America, South America and Europe.
Working at different organizational levels from staff to senior management, his focus is to achieve sustainably higher results. David has trained, mentored and coached thousands of people for many businesses, with a focus on increasing performance and improving business results. David is a consultant, coach, facilitator, and trainer at all organizational levels.
As an Industrial Engineer, Master in Economics and Finance and Master Black Belt in Lean Six Sigma, his ability to evolve people results in service delivery which increases value, reduces cost and improves both quality and productivity for his clients.
Facilitator of more than 250 projects using DMAIC, DMADV, RCA, Kaizen, FMEA and SCRUM, he focuses on cost reduction, quality and productivity improvements, cash flow improvement and customer satisfaction.
Recently, David has increased his focus on business results with coaching and training on design thinking, lean startup, marketing, sales, product management and business strategy.
David has lead projects and workshops in marketing, materials/logistics, manufacturing, purchases, finance, sales, R&D and information technology areas. David specializes in Productivity Techniques, Management Systems and, Finance focused to increase business results.
David coordinates and leads projects in many countries as he is fluent in English, Portuguese and Spanish.
David joined BERTEIG in July 2017.
Select Client List:
- Financial Services: HSBC, Mastercard, Scotiabank, Great West Life, Concentra
- Automotive: Rolls Royce, Trader.ca, Alberta Motor Association (AMA)
- Healthcare: Sick Kids Foundation, Canadian Institute for Health Information (CIHI)
- Other: Coca-Cola, LoyaltyOne, SITA, HOOPP
Certifications and Accreditations:
- Team Kanban Practitioner (TKP), Kanban Management Professional (KMP)
- Certified Scrum Professional (CSP-SM), Advanced Certified Scrum Product Owner (A-CSPO)
- Lean Six Sigma Master Black Belt (LSSMBB), Design Thinking Trainer (DTT)
- Leadership Circle Profile (LCP), Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)
- BSc. Production Engineering (POLI-USP), Master in Finance and Economics (Fundacao Getulio Vargas – FGV)
Over 15 years’ experience in designing and delivering training, on business topics, Lean Six Sigma and Agile Methods.
“Derived from the fact that our organization has approximately 100,000 employees, it is an organization with a lot of structure, processes, protocols, therefore the projects carried out have long and bureaucratic project flows, however, due to needs and priorities we challenge ourselves to be able to perform a disruptive technological tool, with the objective that thousands of our employees are empowered and have a virtual library of contents and information that will help them to fulfill their roles.
With this Agile accompaniment we have broken paradigms, in this specific project, Agile techniques (Scrum) has given us the necessary support to convince employees that change of mentality, mainly with a collaboration approach, incremental deliveries, better way in the form of negotiation with internal clients, external (suppliers) and the most important thing as we do from day 1 more tangible results.
Thanks to Coach David we have found the right paths in the way that intervenes and guides us promptly in the project.” (translated from Spanish) – Andrés L Nava, Talent Development Leader, Coca-Cola