(BEAM) Register Now
This interactive Virtual Learning event is for executives in mid-size and large organizations who have started Agile or digital transformations. This includes senior VPs, C-level executives and members of boards of directors.
Attendees will learn the three key leadership responsibilities for transformation success and how to avoid enterprise transformation obstacles in finance, HR and governance.
Exhibit true Agile leadership and mastery.
Join Mishkin Berteig, CST, for an interactive virtual workshop where you will learn how to lead the Agile change in the work environment and demonstrate the competency needed to make it last.
In successfully completing this workshop you will learn:
- How leadership in an Agile environment uses a different set of principles to enact change
- Why drawing upon the natural human desire to master skills is a key factor in being a successful leader
- The skills that successful leaders use to enable along lasting change in culture
- How to master Agile leadership techniques to improve delivery
- Long-term strategies for improving yourself and help other executives contribute more effectively
FREE REALagility Assessment
Get the added benefit of a free ‘REALagility Assessment’ ($5000 value) – this report is a review of your workplace Agile environmental factors, and is only offered complimentary for BEAM® participants.
Mishkin Berteig Chief Executive Officer and Certified Scrum Trainer
Mishkin has over 20 years of professional experience with Agile methods. Mishkin publishes articles and thoughts about agile on Agile Advice. Mishkin has trained people from Canada, the United States, India, China, the Middle East and Europe. Mishkin Berteig is President and co-founder of BERTEIG.
Mishkin Berteig has been training, coaching and consulting for organizations since 1995. Mishkin co-founded BERTEIG in 2004. Mishkin is committed to helping individuals, teams and organizations to transform their way of working and achieve Real Agility™.
Mishkin has assisted organizations of all sizes to make the transformation from traditional methods to Agile methods (Extreme Programming, Scrum, Lean, Kanban, OpenAgile). Mishkin has helped with culture change, change management, executive management coaching, Agile management, Agile product, project and operations management, Agile teamwork and Agile engineering practices. Mishkin is a co-author of the Real Agility™Program, BERTEIG’s solution for organizations to achieve higher levels of organizational agility.
Mishkin has developed and delivered Agile training both in public and in-house seminars for over 10000 people in Canada and abroad. Courses have been as short as three hour intro-style and as long as five day boot-camp-style, and audiences have ranged from junior team members to senior executives. Mishkin has been a Certified Scrum Trainer since 2005 and is the longest-standing CST in Canada.
Mishkin writes regularly for the BERTEIG blog (formerly Agile Advice) with hundreds of articles about agile methods. Mishkin is also the author of two books “Agile Advice” and “I Am Not a Great Leader”.
Leadership Coaching/Training Highlights:
- 2001: Advised the CIO of Charles Schwab, Geoff Penny, on Extreme Programming and Agile in the IT department as to how it may improve their existing Rational Unified Process implementation.
- 2003: Workshop for CTO Rich Freyberg and direct reports of Schwab Capital Markets on Agile methods, focus on XP. The highlight of this experience was telling Rich to “shut up” because he was constantly interrupting the proceedings. (We had a long pre-existing relationship before that event – I didn’t get fired.)
- 2004-2005: Consultant, coach and trainer at Capital One in Richmond Virgina. Worked closely with another consultant on a major assessment/report for the CTO Gregor Bailar and then worked with numerous senior managers as a coach and consultant. Also worked closely with a number of well-known agilists including Mary Poppendieck, Michael Hamman, Michael Spayd, and others.
- 2005-2006: Certified Scrum Master class for the Director and Senior Managers at Siemens, Trango division, co-trained with Jeff Sutherland. Followed up with them for the next 18 months as their Agile coach and trainer, working directly with their senior managers.
- 2006: Coach at RWDI working with the team on a Scrum adoption. A team-level crisis escalated to working with one of the VPs on a financial model to show the value of focus and rapid delivery.
- 2007: Custom training for Dan Lesage, Software Development Director at Adobe and his senior managers. Focus on solving change management problems.
- 2008: Lots of work with leaders and managers at Research in Motion (RIM) – BERTEIG got fired, eventually. Leadership didn’t enjoy looking at cultural issues in the organization. No names here, but it was a great learning experience for us to see how deeply culture matters in attempting to do a transformation.
- 2009: Another bad experience: delivered a private training for OpenText to the CIO Nicholas Oddson and his senior leadership team. We totally bombed it and were not invited back. Lots of learning here too.
- 2009-2011: Strategic consulting, executive presentations, Agile Coach Training for RBC and the newly-formed Agile Centre of Excellence.
- 2010: Training, coaching and consulting at Suncor in Fort McMurray. First major engagement in a non-software Agile Transformation. Worked with Darin Zandee, Superintendent responsible for 200 people on the mine site, and his senior managers. Included one-on-one leadership coaching for Darin.
- 2010-2011: Group leadership coaching and workshops for Cam Crosbie, AVP then CIO of Equitable Life, and his business peers. Focus on helping Cam and his peers function effectively as a leadership team in the context of an Agile Transformation.
- 2011-2014: Training, coaching and consulting at Schlumberger Beijing Geosciences Centre working with Pearl Chu, Technology Centre Manager, in Beijing. Included leadership coaching for Pearl, Agile Coach Training for senior and mid-level managers reporting to Pearl.
- 2012-2013: Leadership coaching and consulting over 18 months for Frank Leong, VP Business Technology and his colleagues including Michael O’Sullivan, President. Included a systematic leadership development program of our own design which has evolved over time to become the “Real Agility Leadership Track” and the “Real Agility Management Track”.
- 2013: Executive presentation on Agile Transformation for FreshBooks leadership team.
- 2014-2015: Multiple leadership presentations and workshops with Simon Palmer, CIO and his senior leadership team at LoyaltyOne. Focus on leading with integrity during their Agile Transformation.
- 2016: MAJOR HIGHLIGHT: Attended and received Leadership Circle Profile Certification™. The Leadership Circle system has informed our work with leaders ever since.
- 2016-2017: Focus on internal organizational development at BERTEIG and personal leadership development. Did no significant work with leaders in client organizations this year in order to focus on cleaning up our own house, so to speak.
- 2018-2020: Design and deliver a custom leadership program for Scotiabank over 18 months covering mindset, Agile methods, leadership development, lean thinking, community development, technical excellence, and organizational change. Roughly equivalent to an MBA focused on leadership and organizational agility. Delivered to a cohort of 21 senior and mid-level managers.
- 2019: Work with my own coaches to develop their leadership coaching ability, primarily focused on our engagement with Trader working with Steve Maidment, Chief Delivery Officer.
Select Client List:
- Banking: Scotiabank, RBC, BMO, TD Canada Trust, CIBC, HomeTrust, Capital One, Charles Schwab, Key Bank
- Energy/Resources: Schlumberger, Bruce Power, Suncor Energy, Geosoft
- Insurance: Great West Life, Liberty Mutual, Equitable Ins., Empire Life, Economical Ins. Grp.
- Telecom: Ericsson, Blackberry, Siemens, Telus, Rogers, Bell, Nortel
- Media: Globe and Mail, Shaw Media, ZU, Canoe.ca, CBC, Glacier Media, Post Media, TV Ontario, Comcast
- Loyalty: LoyaltyOne, AIMIA, Points.com, Empathica
- Technology: Adobe, Blueprint, Freshbooks, Intuit, Irdeto, Kijiji, MyPlanet Digital, OpenText
- Education: Xello/Career Cruising, Desire2Learn, Queens University, University of Guelph
- Government: Goverment of Canada, Government of Ontario, City of Fort McMurray,
- Other: App Annie, Modernizing Medicine, Trader.ca, D+H, Workopolis, 407ETR, British Counsel, PHH, Ganz, RWDI
Certifications and Accreditations:
Certified Scrum Trainer®, Path to CSP Educator®, CSP-PO, CSP-SM, SAFe Program Consultant
ICAgile Authorized Instructor, ICAgile Certified Professional (ICP)
Leadership Circle Profile Certified, Master of OpenAgile, Team Kanban Practitioner
BSc, Computational Science
An engaging, thorough look at best practices behind true product ownership and working within Scrum. Expert instruction that was never boring and full of insightful learnings. It goes without saying that Mishkin knows his stuff, and is eager to teach Real Agility and Scrum to the world. – Matthew Parkinson, Director of Digital Product Management, Investors Group/ IGM Financial 2019
Mr. Berteig is a wonderful trainer and presenter of the materials covered. His experience in leading discussions around the various concepts and facilitating exercises used to feel the effect of Scrum were appropriate in relation to the audience’ prior experience and knowledge of the topic. – Simonne Cormier, Training Development and Coordinator, Veterans Affairs Canada, 2019
- Over 23 years practising, managing and coaching Agile Process and Development
- Over 14 years experience teaching Scrum (and Agile) in a classroom
- Over 11 years experience applying Agile outside of technology environments
“Leadership Agility – Luck, Love and Truthfulness” – 20181011 – Agile North Meetup
“Agile Architecture Master Class” – 20180515 – Private Client
“Scrum vs. Kanban vs. ADKAR vs. Kotter – Which Is Best For You?” – 20171031 – Global Scrum Gathering Dublin
“Real Agility for Everyone” – 20170921 – Private Client
“Doubling Productivity with Real Agility” – 20170613 – Project Management Institute SWO Chapter
“Launching Agile Teams – The Skills Matrix” – 20161114 – Toronto Agile Conference
Praise for the BERTEIG Executive Agile Mastery® (BEAM) Workshop
To take advantage of the course, attendees should have a clear understanding of what is Agile mindset and agile frameworks such as Kanban and Scrum.
Fantastic opportunity to understand 'what you know you don't know' and get insight into 'what you didn't know you didn't know'...
The best training - covered relevant material that I can apply to my role (as an executive).
(The) teaching material was well distributed and the instructor was good at explaining each item on the framework. I learned a lot from this one day course.
I enjoyed that the training workshop was educational and relevant. I learned many helpful things to improve my PO role in the workplace. The team activities were fun and allowed me to better understand the Agile process.
Interesting approach at least to start trying to apply agile at enterprise level.
Enjoyed the group exercise as it enabled us to experience what leading in Agile was all about.
Very enjoyable course. Mishkin was a great instructor with lots of insights and methods to apply Agile methodology in the enterprise.
A great course that will let you know if you are really practicing Scrum or not; and to know and understand how leaders can contribute to the Scrum framework
Great teacher and super informative...
Loved the interactivity of the one-day program. Great people and networking opportunity.
I like the course but I think should consider that some people we are completely new and don't assume we already have Agile knowledge.
Very valuable insights to clarify the role of PO or business leader.
By successfully completing this course you will be able to:
- Learn the key techniques that make organisational transformation successful
- Become a more effective leader as part of the Agile adoption strategy
- Learn about the role of the Agile executive in a large enterprise setting
- Feel confident in your ability to empower staff to deliver work in an Agile environment
The nine hours of total classroom time will be:
9:00am to 12:00pm
1:00pm to 4:00pm
5:30pm to 8:30pm
E-Learning Topics (introductory-level):
- Agile Methods (Scrum and Kanban)
- Leadership Growth (Mindset and Behaviour)
- Lean Thinking (Waste and Systems-Thinking)
- Community Development (Informal Networks)
- Technical Practices (Cloud / DevSecOps and Quality)
- Organizational Change (Culture and Strategy)
Virtual Session Topics (in-depth level)
- Agile Finance and HR
- Agile Scaling (Services, Flow, Organization)
- Distributed Teams – Tools and Techniques
- Leadership, Management and Decision-Making
- Leadership Teams
- Debrief on RAA and next steps
Who This Is For?
BERTEIG Executive Agile Mastery® (BEAM) is ideal for:
- Executive Alumni – Communicate more effectively with the rest of the organisation.
- Leadership – Understand how Agile work is delivered and how to support that culture.
- Critical Project Leads – When your team is responsible to deliver with confidence.
- Executive Team Dynamics – When finding authenticity and transparency is important.
Specialized Private Training
- Agility for Audit & Compliance
- Agility for Business Analytics
- Agility for Human Resource Teams
- Agility for Legal
- Agility for Project Managers
- Agility for Sales
- Agility for Testers
- Agility for Finance
- Construction & Building
- Oil and gas
- Shipping & Transportation
You're in Good Company
Get the Best of BERTEIG
Experts with Accolades
BERTEIG Instructors hold the highest possible certifications in their respective areas of expertise.
Benefit from one of Canada’s only Advanced Certified Scrum Master Training available in Canada.
Develop situational analysis with real-life issues your organization is encountering in the privacy of a private group.
Over a decade of coaching and curriculum development has resulted in thousands of successfully trained Canadians, coast to coast.
Breakaway from basic training with engaging, stimulation-oriented exercise available in many of our courses.
The more your team learns, the more you’ll earn.
Loyalty Is Rewarded
BERTEIG Loyalty Program
At BERTEIG, we believe that continuous lifelong learning is a key element to success and achieving excellence.
We developed the BERTEIG Loyalty Program to encourage our clients to develop a culture of continuous learning. The more people you train, the more money you save (simple)!
The discount level you reach by the end of the calendar year is maintained for another full calendar year. As soon as you reach the minimum number of registrations for the next level, you move up and enjoy greater discounts.
The BERTEIG Loyalty Program is available for both Public and Private training.
in a year
off this year
and next year,
in a year
off this year
and next year,
in a year
off this year
and next year,
in a year
off this year
and next year,
BERTEIG loyalty program is not a one-time group discount. It is a long-term organization-wide program to encourage continuous learning in the organization while saving money on training. If you are looking for a one-time group discount, write us here or call us on 1-(888) 852-8216, we would love to help you out.
Curious? It Begins with BERTEIG.
Connect with Mark Kalyta today to discuss your organizations unique needs.