Upcoming Certified ScrumMaster® (CSM)
This 2-day course provides the foundations to be an effective Scrum Master.
Achieve Certified ScrumMaster® (CSM) designation with the Scrum Alliance by successfully completing this course and the exam.
BERTEIG is a Registered Education Provider with the Scrum Alliance® and the Project Management Institute® (PMI).
Praise for BERTEIG
Certified ScrumMaster® (CSM) Training
Mishkin and team provided an educational and fun environment to learn about Scrum, and how to do it correctly. We practiced Scrum and it provided great insight into how we are doing as an organization.
Lead Consultant, January 2019
This course was my first true introduction into the ``agile world`` – and the facilitators were great – knowledgeable and real (no sugar coating). I appreciate the candor as it will help to differentiate when it makes sense to use scrum framework in a corporate setting vs. other PM methodologies to ensure successful execution.
Principal, January 2019
Will recommend that the Scrum Masters seeking certification within my org attend this course.
Head PMO, January 2019
The training was great including the pace and materials. I look forward to revisiting and applying the Scrum techniques and tools with better understanding now.
Senior Business Analyst, January 2019
As always, Berteig delivered a high quality, in depth training course delivered by two passionate experts in their field. As with all training courses I've attended with Berteig, the trainers never shy away from what can be perceived as controversial questions that challenge the established opinions of Scrum/Kanban.
System Administrator, January 2019
Berteig is some of the best corporate training I've attended...I would highly recommend Berteig training to anyone interested in Scrum. The courses have an excellent balance of theory and practical application, the exercises are creative and engaging, and Jerry and Mishkin know their craft.
Senior Business Analyst, December 2018
An accelerated, first-hand way to learn agile and scrum fundamentals. Strong facilitation and participation.
Senior Consultant, December 2018
A former colleague introduced me to the company and course....the instructors were outstanding has they provided real world insight and problem solving for many of the situation that Scrum Masters would face.
Consultant, December 2018
Course was extremely well delivered, organized and super fun! Would do another course with Berteig in a heartbeat!
Director, Project Manager, November 2018
Jerry and Mishkin are truly masters of their craft. I highly recommend this course to anyone that is beginning their agile journey.
Scrum Master, November 2018
The Certified Scrum Master training provided by Berteig was truly outstanding. My training will improve day to day relations with colleagues and enhance productivity in our project work.
Data Science Consultant, October 2018
Great instructor. He made it easy and fun to learn Scrum as well as create an actual product for real world application. He also showed how a group of strangers could unify as a team. I am excited to try and apply this in my career going forward.
Senior Business Consultant, October 2018
I enjoyed every aspect of the Berteig's CSM training. The course not only introduced me to Scrum within the two day period, it also gave me a chance to interact and network with other professionals while learning.
Manager, September 2018
Absolutely met my needs. The instructors were informative, excited to be there/presenting; open to adjusting schedule based on classroom needs; available during breaks for one-on-one interactions.
Senior Manager, QA Testing, September 2018
I was so glad that I decided to take this course. The insights received were very useful and practical. Looking forward to implementing some of the values and practices learned.
Scrum Master, September 2018
Instructors are highly energetic and have a strong understanding of the concepts.
Business Transformation Consultant, September 2018
Going with Berteig was the right decision. The real life examples that were cited during the classroom sessions were of great help.
Scrum Master, January 2018
The Scrum training was amazing, I would strongly recommend Berteig trainings. Very well organized, on time, very detailed with real life scenarios and how to address various challenges. Also what is amazing is they want to hear client's feedback and areas for improvement which means they actually practice what they preach in 'Scrum.
Project Coordinator , January 2018
The Berteig CSM course tapped into my knowledge of scrum and taught me concepts I didn't know before. Learning is a gift and I am glad I took this course!
Product / Project Manager , January 2018
Passionate instructors in a setting with intelligent peers. Worth attending!
Director, January 2018
Instructor's acumen and understanding of SCRUM was superb. The course is very well structured, providing a lot of pertinent information and practical exercises, without overwhelming the student. Punctuality was superb and it really added to the positive experience. Best two day course I have ever attended.
Project Manager / Consultant , December 2017
I am happy to let you know that I passed the CSM® test today. I really enjoyed your class and it cleared up some big misconceptions I had, plus provided some harsh truths about Scrum. The simulation you have in the class was so close to reality and how humans interact and behave...this has actually been a breath of fresh air, because reality is harsh and far, far away from theory. Thank you for all the reference materials, and the books.
Director, Quality Assurance , December 2017
I found this training highly engaging, valuable, and it's completely worth it.
Senior Business Analyst , December 2017
Mishkin is a very knowledgeable scrum coach.
Senior Project Manager, December 2017
I highly recommend taking the course. Excellent way of coaching.
President, November 2017
Very engaging learning experience. The group work was intense! And sooo applicable to the real-world.
Director of Project Management , November 2017
This was an intense, dynamic, and very engaging introduction to Scrum that made the framework easily accessible and understandable - despite the fact that I am not a software professional.
Principal, November 2017
I found the CSM course insightful, interesting and challenging. I highly recommend the class.
Senior Director / PMO, October 2017
felt a strong need to acquire the knowledge of the fundamentals so that I could help correct the misrepresentations of agile in my company. I believe strongly in the framework and it's relevance and as such feel obligated to defend it fiercely.
Infrastructure / Application Change Manager , November 2017
The team provided a well organized classroom environment that was optimal for learning and my confidence moving forward as a Scrum Master.
Product Owner , November 2017
The hands-on approach made learning agile principles effortless.
Project Manager , November 2017
Left a very clear vision of what agile should be.
QA Manager, November 2017
Director , October 2017
This was a great course with an awesome interactive activity which allowed me to appreciate what the developers on my team go through when new requirements are thrown at them.
Agile PM, October 2017
Great team work and autonomy, with solid materials, guidance and candid feedback from the BERTEIG trainer.
Director, Consulting, October 2017
I found the CSM course insightful, interesting and challenging. I highly recommend the class.
Senior Director / PMO, October 2017
By successfully completing this course you will be able to:
- Remove obstacles that prevent teams from achieving high-performance.
- Enable a team to follow the Scrum process to deliver great products and continuously improve their quality.
- Describe Scrum to others including the roles, meetings, artifacts & principles.
- Identify the environments in which the application of Scrum would lead to excellent results.
- Describe how the Scrum Framework is based on empirical process.
- Fulfill the requirements of the Certified ScrumMaster® (CSM) program.
- Welcome & Introductions
- In-Depth Simulation
- About Product Vision
- First Sprint
- About Sprint Backlog
- Product Backlog Items
- Sprint Two
- Calculating ROI
- Velocity & Release Planning
- Burndown Charts
- Sprint Three
- Scrum Framework Overview
- The Scrum Process
- Rules of Scrum
- Improving Quality
- Scrum Is / Is Not
- Scrum Team vs. Not Scrum Team
- Definition of “Done”
- The ScrumMaster Role
- Qualities of a ScrumMaster
- Removing Obstacles
- Mapping the ScrumMaster Role to Traditional Roles
- What Did You Learn?
- Feedback Forms
About Your Instructors
Mishkin Berteig President and Co-Founder
Mishkin has over 20 years of professional experience with Agile methods. Mishkin publishes articles and thoughts about agile on Agile Advice. Mishkin has trained people from Canada, the United States, India, China, the Middle East and Europe. Mishkin Berteig is President and co-founder of BERTEIG.
Mishkin Berteig has been training, coaching and consulting for organizations adopting Agile since 2001. Mishkin co-founded Berteig in 2004. Mishkin is committed to helping individuals, teams and organizations apply Agile to transform their way of working.
Mishkin has assisted organizations of all sizes to make the transformation from traditional methods to Agile methods (Extreme Programming, Scrum, Lean, OpenAgile®). Assistance includes Agile culture change, Agile change management, executive management coaching, Agile management, Agile product, project and operations management, Agile teamwork and Agile engineering practices.
Mishkin has developed and delivered Agile training both in public and in-house seminars for over 5,000 people in Canada and abroad. Courses have been as short as three-hour intro-style and as long as five-day boot-camp-style, and audiences have ranged from junior team members to senior executives. Mishkin has been a Certified Scrum Trainer (CST) since 2005.
Mishkin maintains a popular blog, Agile Advice, with hundreds of articles about agile methods.
- Over 20 years practising, managing and coaching Agile Process and Development
- Over 11 years experience teaching Scrum (and Agile) in a classroom
- Over 8 years experience applying Agile outside of technology environments
“Leadership Agility – Luck, Love and Truthfulness” – 20181011 – Agile North Meetup
“Agile Architecture Master Class” – 20180515 – Private Client
“Scrum vs. Kanban vs. ADKAR vs. Kotter – Which Is Best For You?” – 20171031 – Global Scrum Gathering Dublin
“Real Agility for Everyone” – 20170921 – Private Client
“Doubling Productivity with Real Agility” – 20170613 – Project Management Institute SWO Chapter
“Launching Agile Teams – The Skills Matrix” – 20161114 – Toronto Agile Conference
Jerry Doucett VP Training Services, Senior Consultant and Instructor
Jerry Doucett is an Agile transformation advisor with over 25 years of hands-on experience in software and process development initiatives. Jerry has proudly served on numerous enterprise transformations by focusing support on four key success pillars: cultivating in-house expertise on Lean and Agile practices, defining enterprise transformation strategies, building and delivering coaching and training programs, and developing effective relationships between business and IT.
For over a decade Jerry has been supporting Agile transformation strategies. On numerous occasions he has served as an integral coach, mentor, advisor and team member on several enterprise transformation leadership teams including several companies with over 50,000 employees.
Jerry has developed and delivered Agile training for over 2,500 people in Canada and abroad. He has been teaching private Scrum classes under license for Jeff Sutherland and Scrum Inc. since 2016. His tailored materials include everything from introductions to advanced role-focused topics, and target audiences from junior team members to senior executives at multinational corporations. He has contributed many blog and online articles over the last few years, and his latest book (published October 2018) is “The Scrum Master Guide to Choosing Retrospective Techniques”.
Certifications and Accreditations:
Accredited Kanban Trainer, Licensed Scrum Trainer, Kanban Management Professional
Scrum Alliance® Registered Education Provider, Certified Scrum Professional
Certified Scrum Master, Certified Scrum Product Owner, Certified Scrum Developer, Professional Scrum Master I
SAFe® Program Consultant, Project Management Professional
Prosci ADKAR® Change Management Professional
B.A.A, HONS, Applied Geography, Economics Minor, Ryerson University
- Over 25 years in software and process development initiatives
- Over 15 years of applying project management practices
- Over 9 years assisting organizations to leverage Agile and Lean approaches
- Over 7 years assisting enterprise Agile transformations
“I wanted to acknowledge Jerry for his support and mentorship as he was pivotal as I on boarded to a new role within a new department and new Scrum team; a team newly formed and new to Agile. Jerry supported the team through training including User Story Writing and Agile estimation workshops among many. During team lift off Jerry identified that both road map and product backlog were missing from ‘delivering value’ stream and as a result we saw a team with constantly changing focus, a large number of product responsibilities and a lack of clarity on priorities. The Scrum process does facilitate changing priorities, but it doesn’t help the team adapt. This was an extremely challenging experience but a tremendous learning opportunity for me as I had guidance and gained key insights from this experienced Agile Enterprise Coach. I am fortunate to have been able to rely on Jerry’s leadership, experience and coaching. Thank you!” – Angeline Lim, Program Implementation Manager at Loyalty One
2018 – The Scrum Master Guide to Choosing Retrospective Techniques
(Currently only available on Lulu.com in ePub format. Click the image for more information.)
Forbes Benning Agile Coach and Trainer
Forbes Benning began using the Agile philosophy in 2008 and wonders how he ever lived without it. Now Forbes wants to share that knowledge and experience with other teams. He has experience consulting, coaching, facilitation and team building in large enterprise settings. With a focus on methods such as Scrum, Forbes is committed to helping transform people, process and culture in organizations.
Forbes was active in helping projects succeed for 10 years before becoming a PMP in 2005. He then received certification as a ScrumMaster® in 2008. He is dedicated to sharing this knowledge to help other teams succeed.
Forbes has worked as a ScrumMaster to assist teams in their adoption of Scrum. He has also assisted firms in the financial, gaming and automotive sector with their Agile transformations, including Agile teamwork, Agile project and product management, and Agile consulting and training at the executive level.
Forbes has been a long-time volunteer with the PMI-SWOC. He managed the organization of the regional PMI conference in 2009 and 2010.
Now he is also working on enterprise cloud transformation and has become an AWS Architect (Amazon Web Services) to help with customer journeys.
Select Client List:
Certent, CIHI (Canadian Institute of Health Information), City of Toronto, Finastra (D+H), Government of Ontario, Great West Life, Intuit Canada, Kijiji (eBay), Nutreco, SafeNet, ScotiaBank, Seneca College, TD Canada Trust, Upstream Works, PPI, CoreSolutions, Mostly Digital, Diamond L Healthcare Software Solutions, Gilchrist Games, PMI-SWOC, Autodata, The Ontario Association of Community Care Access Centres, The Ontario Ministry of Environment
Certifications and Accreditations:
Professional Scrum Master I + II (PSM I and PSM II), Professional Scrum Product Owner I (PSPO I)
Certified ScrumMaster (CSM), Certified Scrum Product Owner (CSPO)
Team Kanban Practitioner (TKP), Kanban Management Professional (KMP)
AWS Architect, Project Management Professional (PMP), Certified SAFe Agilist (Leading SAFe)
Bachelor of Arts (History) from the University of Western Ontario
Over 23 years helping projects succeed
Over 11 years experience helping teams adopt Scrum and other Agile methods
5 years of experience training teams and organizations on Scrum
Testimonials / References
“I thought the class was great with Forbes providing real world examples and experiences.” – Product Manager
Petra Skapa Certified Scrum Trainer® (CST)
Petra's professional career spans guiding business technology, classroom based education and Agile coaching and mentorship.
Petra has over 10 years of experience, leading departments through Agile transformations and supporting project teams in adopting effective software delivery using Agile processes.
All attendees receive a deck of Estimation Cards and the instructor often brings extra. Each deck includes 4 sets, therefore most Scrum teams need 2 or 3 decks. Please let us know if you’d like more and we will be sure to bring more decks for your team.
You’ll receive a free electronic copy of Mishkin Berteig’s book ‘Agile Advice’.
This is a collection of the best articles from the AgileAdvice blog with additional commentary, updates, and 3 exclusive articles written just for the book.
Attendees also receive a free electronic copy of Jerry Doucett’s book “The Scrum Master Guide to Choosing Retrospective Techniques”. This is a practical how-to guide for Scrum Masters who want more effective team retrospectives, based on Jerry’s decade plus as a Scrum Master and Agile Coach.
All attendees also receive a complimentary spiral-bound journal with lined paper and zipper pocket.
You can use it to take notes during the class and to record your Agile learning journey beyond the classroom.
- Q: Prices are in what currency?
- A: Canadian dollars.
- Q: What methods of payment do you accept?
- A: Visa, Mastercard and American Express. We do not invoice for training. Under special circumstances we can also accept wire transfers, personal cheques, cash, PayPal and purchase orders. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for special payment arrangements.
- Q: I need to cancel my place due to... what do I do about it?
- A: If your request to cancel is made ten (10) business days prior to the Learning Event, then you will be issued a refund and your spot will be made available for someone else. Please contact email@example.com with the order number you wish to have refunded. Within ten (10) business days, no refund is possible for any reason, but we will offer you a spot in a future class at 50% of the normal list price (no other discounts will apply). In the rare case of family or medical emergencies, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org as soon as you can and we will work with you to find a suitable solution.
- Q: I need to change the course date I am registered for due to... what do I do about it?
- A: As with cancellation, if your request to change dates is made ten (10) business days prior to the Learning Event, then you can be moved. Please contact email@example.com with your name, current course date and requested new course date.Within ten (10) business days, no changes are possible for any reason, but we will offer you a spot in another class at 50% of the normal list price (no other discounts will apply). In the rare case of family or medical emergencies, please contact us as soon as you can and we will work with you to find a suitable solution.
- Q: Can I send someone else in my place?
- A: Yes. You are welcome to change the registration information for a spot at a Learning Event at any time. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with the details including your own registration information and the full name, email address and phone number of the person who will attend in your place. There is no charge for such a change.
- Q: I found "the same" course for less... will you give me a discount?
- A: No. You have registered for a premier learning event, not a clone of some other course.
- Q: Do you ever offer discounts?
- A: Yes. Everyone who attends one of our Learning Event is given a discount code to use on other courses or to pass along to coworkers, associates, family and friends. Also, if you belong to an organization that sends more than 5 people to our training courses, you may be eligible for our Loyalty Program. The more people attending our training, the higher the discount available. Please contact us at email@example.com to find out more.
- Also, we offer "Early Bird" discounts on some Learning Events. We encourage you to register early to take advantage of this offer.
- Q: What if I register, then later discover a Loyalty Program discount was applicable. Can I get the discount applied retroactively?
- A: Yes, you can. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with your order number for which you would like the discount applied and your Loyalty Program coupon code.
- Q: Is your training tax deductible and can I get a T2202A slip?
- A: No, our training is not eligible for tax deductions. We do not give T2202A slips. T2202A slips are usually issued from Post Secondary Education Institutions like a college or university. We are not such an institution. Purchasing our training is more like purchasing a book or a ticket to an event.
- Q: How do I become a Certified ScrumMaster (CSM)?
- A: Scrum Alliance is the governing body for this certification and BERTEIG is licensed to deliver the training portion. Full details may be found at https://www.scrumalliance.org/get-certified/practitioners/csm-certification. The training component of the CSM designation is available either by attending one of BERTEIG’s public Learning Events or as part of a designated CSM in-house private Learning Event.
- Q: What is included in becoming a Certified ScrumMaster (CSM)?
- A: The Certified ScrumMaster training that we offer includes all the materials that are needed to complete the training part of the certification (part 1/2). There is no extra fee for the online test (part 2/2), it is included in your registration with us. Once you have completed the training, you will receive an email within 1 week to complete the remaining step to get your certification. Full instructions will be provided in class, but don't worry, the test is easy! If you want to study, please consider reading the Scrum Guide.
- Q: How do I become a Certified Scrum Product Owner (CSPO)?
- A: Scrum Alliance is the governing body for this certification and BERTEIG is licensed to deliver the training portion. Full details may be found at https://www.scrumalliance.org/get-certified/practitioners/cspo-certification. The training component of the CSPO designation is available either by attending one of BERTEIG’s public Learning Events or as part of a designated CSPO in-house private Learning Event.
- Q: How do I get SAFe® Scaled Agilist Certification (SA - from Scaled Agile)?
- A: Scaled Agile is the governing body for this certification and BERTEIG is licensed to deliver the training portion. Full details may be found at https://www.scaledagile.com/certification/courses/leading-safe. The training component of the SA designation is available either by attending one of BERTEIG’s public Learning Events or as part of a designated SA in-house private Learning Event.
- Q: How do I become certified as an OpenAgile Team Member (OATM)?
- A: The OpenAgile Center for Learning is the governing body for this certification. Full details may be found at http://www.openagile.com/TeamMember. The training component of the OATM designation is available either by attending one of BERTEIG’s public Learning Events or as part of a designated OATM in-house private Learning Event.
- Q: How do I become a PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)?
- A: The Project Management Institute is the governing body for this certification. Full details may be found at https://www.pmi.org/certifications/types/agile-acp. The training component of the PMI-ACP designation is available either by attending one of BERTEIG’s public Learning Events or as part of a designated PMI-ACP in-house private Learning Event.
- Q: How do I become certified as a Team Kanban Practitioner (TKP)?
- A: Lean Kanban University is the governing body for this certification. Full details may be found at https://leankanban.com/team-kanban. The training component of the TKP designation is available either by attending one of BERTEIG’s public Learning Events or as part of a designated TKP in-house private Learning Event.
- Q: How do I become certified as a Kanban Management Professional (KMP)?
- A: Lean Kanban University is the governing body for this certification. Full details may be found at https://leankanban.com/kmp-program. Note this is a two-class certification – you must complete BOTH the Kanban Systems Design (KMPI) class AND the Kanban Management Professional (KMPII) class. The training component of the KMP designation is available either by attending BERTEIG public Learning Events or as part of designated in-house private Learning Events.
- Q: How can I claim my CSM or CSPO class for PDUs from PMI?
- A: BERTEIG is a Registered Education Provider (REP) with PMI for the CSM and CSPO courses. Please log in to your account on the PMI Continuing Certification Requirements System (CCRS) website at https://ccrs.pmi.org and choose BERTEIG as your REP when entering in your learning experience. Be sure to choose the appropriate class you took (CSM or CSPO) to claim the appropriate PDUs.
- Q: How can I claim my class (non CSM or CSPO) for PDUs from PMI?
- A: If you have completed a Learning Event with BERTEIG that has appropriate content, once you have completed the class you may find a digital copy of a letter of attendance in our file repository. Please use this letter as evidence of attending the class. If you cannot access the letter of attendance, please either contact your instructor or the course administrator and they will be happy to provide one for you. Note that you will need to retain this letter for audit purposes. Obtaining PDUs is your responsibility once BERTEIG has issued the letter of attendance. For more information, please refer to the PMI CCR Certification Requirements Handbook at https://www.pmi.org/-/media/pmi/documents/public/pdf/certifications/ccr-certification-requirements-handbook.pdf?la=en.
- Q: What if I'm shy and don't like interacting with people?
- A: Our Learning Events are highly interactive... and we make them safe and comfortable for even the most shy people! Our facilitators are experts in creating an environment where everyone is encouraged to participate without forcing you to do things or say things that might be uncomfortable. This is not like school. This is not like a university lecture. This is not like a high-pressure business meeting.
- Q: What if I'm just coming to get a certification?
- A: Okay! We know lots of people who have come to our Learning Events in the past, walked out with a valuable certification, and told us in no uncertain terms that it was the best "course" they had ever attended, they learned far more than they expected, and they are excited to apply what they have learned as soon as possible. But sure, you can attend just for the certification!
- Q: What do I need to bring with me?
- A: For most learning events you do not need to bring anything. During the Learning Event session, you will be asked to keep electronic devices out of the learning environment. You are welcome to bring your own notebook for note-taking but we provide materials for this as well. Check the description of your Learning Event to see if there are any special requirements.
- Q: Do you provide food?
- A: We normally provide coffee, tea, and light snacks in the morning and afternoon of a Learning Event. Lunch is not usually provided.
- Q: Why don't you provide printed books of your slides?
- A: First of all, we usually don't have many slides (if any!) in most of our Learning Events - instead we have a moderate number of handouts. The only exceptions are typically the SAFe training classes where we are a delivery partner and the materials come directly from Scaled Agile - in those classes there are typically a lot of slides and printed books. Secondly, printing heavy books uses a lot of paper and energy for something that most people don't ever refer back to after their "course" is finished. Third, you will learn better by taking your own notes (and we provide a simple structured way to do this)!
- For our own classes (not the Scaled Agile classes), handouts will be provided in electronic form following the class via file sharing system.
- Q: When does my Learning Event start and finish?
- A: Normally our Learning Events start at 8:30 sharp and end by 5:00pm. Some Learning Events may have other schedules. Please read the page about your particular Learning Event to know exactly what time it starts and ends.
- Q: Do you offer your Learning Events as private in-house sessions?
- A: Yes. Please contact email@example.com for more information and to receive a quote. Typically in-house sessions are scheduled six or more weeks after a contract has been signed - please ask for a quote as soon as possible if you think your need is urgent! We can also create custom Learning Events for an additional fee. We even do train-the-trainer programs for larger organizations who wish to leverage in-house staff. Generally, we avoid doing the CSM and CSPO Learning Events in-house and encourage you to come with your group to a public session.
- Q: What if I have an emergency and have to leave for some/part/most of the class?
- A: Depends on the emergency. If it is a medical emergency for yourself or a family member, we will work with you to either re-schedule or refund your money depending on circumstances. We don't have a fixed policy about this. For work related emergencies, we will not issue a refund, but will offer a spot to you at a future course at a 50% discount rate.
- Q: Do you recommend any supplemental learning resources?
- A: Yes. We have a list of recommended reading for agility that is organized by type of learning event.
- Q: Does BERTEIG partner with others to advertise and deliver training?
- A: Yes. We partner with training resellers who can reach different people than we can. If you have a question about our resellers or if you are interested in establishing a partnership relationship please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Q: I am a trainer myself. Can I list my courses on this website?
- A: No. This is one type of partnership that we are considering but have not yet established. If you are interested in this type of partnership, please contact email@example.com.
The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.