Upcoming Professional Scrum Master™ (PSM I)
This 2-day PSM is the cutting-edge course for effective Scrum Masters and anyone coaching an organization towards business agility.
Training materials are created and maintained by Ken Schwaber and the Professional Scrum Trainer™ community – always in tune with what’s happening in software development organizations and always up-to-date with latest practices.
You will receive a PSM I assessment token after the workshop and discounts on PSM II and PSM III assessment with Scrum.org™.
BERTEIG is also a Registered Education Provider with the Project Management Institute® (PMI).
Praise for BERTEIG
Professional Scrum Master™ (PSM I) Training
An accelerated, first-hand way to learn agile and scrum fundamentals. Strong facilitation and participation.
Senior Consultant, December 2018
Great instructor. He made it easy and fun to learn Scrum as well as create an actual product for real world application. He also showed how a group of strangers could unify as a team. I am excited to try and apply this in my career going forward.
Senior Business Consultant, October 2018
I was so glad that I decided to take this course. The insights received were very useful and practical. Looking forward to implementing some of the values and practices learned.
Scrum Master, September 2018
Instructors are highly energetic and have a strong understanding of the concepts.
Business Transformation Consultant, September 2018
The Berteig CSM course tapped into my knowledge of scrum and taught me concepts I didn't know before. Learning is a gift and I am glad I took this course!
Product / Project Manager , January 2018
Passionate instructors in a setting with intelligent peers. Worth attending!
Director, January 2018
Instructor's acumen and understanding of Scrum was superb. The course is very well structured, providing a lot of pertinent information and practical exercises, without overwhelming the student. Punctuality was superb and it really added to the positive experience. Best two day course I have ever attended.
Project Manager / Consultant , December 2017
I found this training highly engaging, valuable, and it's completely worth it.
Senior Business Analyst , December 2017
I highly recommend taking the course. Excellent way of coaching.
President, November 2017
Very engaging learning experience. The group work was intense! And sooo applicable to the real-world.
Director of Project Management , November 2017
This was an intense, dynamic, and very engaging introduction to Scrum that made the framework easily accessible and understandable - despite the fact that I am not a software professional.
Principal, November 2017
I found the CSM course insightful, interesting and challenging. I highly recommend the class.
Senior Director / PMO, October 2017
felt a strong need to acquire the knowledge of the fundamentals so that I could help correct the misrepresentations of agile in my company. I believe strongly in the framework and its relevance and as such feel obligated to defend it fiercely.
Infrastructure / Application Change Manager , November 2017
The team provided a well organized classroom environment that was optimal for learning and my confidence moving forward as a Scrum Master.
Product Owner , November 2017
The hands-on approach made learning agile principles effortless.
Project Manager , November 2017
Left a very clear vision of what agile should be.
QA Manager, November 2017
Director , October 2017
This was a great course with an awesome interactive activity which allowed me to appreciate what the developers on my team go through when new requirements are thrown at them.
Agile PM, October 2017
I found the CSM course insightful, interesting and challenging. I highly recommend the class.
Senior Director / PMO, October 2017
By successfully completing this course you will be able to:
- Remove obstacles that prevent teams from achieving high-performance.
- Enable a team to follow the Scrum process to deliver great products and continuously improve their quality.
- Describe Scrum to others including the roles, meetings, artifacts & principles.
- Identify the environments in which the application of Scrum would lead to excellent results.
- Describe how the Scrum Framework is based on empirical process.
- Those who pass the assessment will receive the industry recognized PSM I Certification.
- Welcome & Introductions
- Scrum Theory and Principles
- The Scrum Framework
- About Sprint Backlogs
- Product Backlog Items
- Sprint Backlogs
- The Definition of Done
- Improving Quality
- What Scrum Is About
- Acceptance Criteria
- Running a Scrum Project
- Working with People and Teams
- Scrum in your Organization
- Estimation & Planning
- Return on Investment (ROI)
- Different Techniques
- The Role of the Scrum Master
About Your Instructors
David Sabine Professional Scrum Trainer, PST
His career highlights the intersection of business, technology, art and education. With his broad experience, he helps organizations and teams understand agility at all levels: practice and delivery, leadership and stewardship, organizational design and culture.
- Q: Prices are in what currency?
- A: Canadian dollars.
- Q: What methods of payment do you accept?
- A: Visa, Mastercard and American Express. We do not invoice for training. Under special circumstances we can also accept wire transfers, personal cheques, cash, PayPal and purchase orders. Please contact email@example.com for special payment arrangements.
- Q: I need to cancel my place due to... what do I do about it?
- A: If your request to cancel is made ten (10) business days prior to the Learning Event, then you will be issued a refund and your spot will be made available for someone else. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with the order number you wish to have refunded. Within ten (10) business days, no refund is possible for any reason, but we will offer you a spot in a future class at 50% of the normal list price (no other discounts will apply). In the rare case of family or medical emergencies, please contact email@example.com as soon as you can and we will work with you to find a suitable solution.
- Q: I need to change the course date I am registered for due to... what do I do about it?
- A: As with cancellation, if your request to change dates is made ten (10) business days prior to the Learning Event, then you can be moved. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with your name, current course date and requested new course date.Within ten (10) business days, no changes are possible for any reason, but we will offer you a spot in another class at 50% of the normal list price (no other discounts will apply). In the rare case of family or medical emergencies, please contact us as soon as you can and we will work with you to find a suitable solution.
- Q: Can I send someone else in my place?
- A: Yes. You are welcome to change the registration information for a spot at a Learning Event at any time. Please contact email@example.com with the details including your own registration information and the full name, email address and phone number of the person who will attend in your place. There is no charge for such a change.
- Q: I found "the same" course for less... will you give me a discount?
- A: No. You have registered for a premier learning event, not a clone of some other course.
- Q: Do you ever offer discounts?
- A: Yes. Everyone who attends one of our Learning Event is given a discount code to use on other courses or to pass along to coworkers, associates, family and friends. Also, if you belong to an organization that sends more than 5 people to our training courses, you may be eligible for our Loyalty Program. The more people attending our training, the higher the discount available. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to find out more.
- Also, we offer "Early Bird" discounts on some Learning Events. We encourage you to register early to take advantage of this offer.
- Q: What if I register, then later discover a Loyalty Program discount was applicable. Can I get the discount applied retroactively?
- A: Yes, you can. Please contact email@example.com with your order number for which you would like the discount applied and your Loyalty Program coupon code.
- Q: Is your training tax deductible and can I get a T2202A slip?
- A: No, our training is not eligible for tax deductions. We do not give T2202A slips. T2202A slips are usually issued from Post Secondary Education Institutions like a college or university. We are not such an institution. Purchasing our training is more like purchasing a book or a ticket to an event.
- Q: How do I become a Certified ScrumMaster (CSM)?
- A: Scrum Alliance is the governing body for this certification and BERTEIG is licensed to deliver the training portion. Full details may be found at https://www.scrumalliance.org/get-certified/practitioners/csm-certification. The training component of the CSM designation is available either by attending one of BERTEIG’s public Learning Events or as part of a designated CSM in-house private Learning Event.
- Q: What is included in becoming a Certified ScrumMaster (CSM)?
- A: The Certified ScrumMaster training that we offer includes all the materials that are needed to complete the training part of the certification (part 1/2). There is no extra fee for the online test (part 2/2), it is included in your registration with us. Once you have completed the training, you will receive an email within 1 week to complete the remaining step to get your certification. Full instructions will be provided in class, but don't worry, the test is easy! If you want to study, please consider reading the Scrum Guide.
- Q: How do I become a Certified Scrum Product Owner (CSPO)?
- A: Scrum Alliance is the governing body for this certification and BERTEIG is licensed to deliver the training portion. Full details may be found at https://www.scrumalliance.org/get-certified/practitioners/cspo-certification. The training component of the CSPO designation is available either by attending one of BERTEIG’s public Learning Events or as part of a designated CSPO in-house private Learning Event.
- Q: How do I get SAFe® Scaled Agilist Certification (SA - from Scaled Agile)?
- A: Scaled Agile is the governing body for this certification and BERTEIG is licensed to deliver the training portion. Full details may be found at https://www.scaledagile.com/certification/courses/leading-safe. The training component of the SA designation is available either by attending one of BERTEIG’s public Learning Events or as part of a designated SA in-house private Learning Event.
- Q: How do I become certified as an OpenAgile Team Member (OATM)?
- A: The OpenAgile Center for Learning is the governing body for this certification. Full details may be found at http://www.openagile.com/TeamMember. The training component of the OATM designation is available either by attending one of BERTEIG’s public Learning Events or as part of a designated OATM in-house private Learning Event.
- Q: How do I become a PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)?
- A: The Project Management Institute is the governing body for this certification. Full details may be found at https://www.pmi.org/certifications/types/agile-acp. The training component of the PMI-ACP designation is available either by attending one of BERTEIG’s public Learning Events or as part of a designated PMI-ACP in-house private Learning Event.
- Q: How do I become certified as a Team Kanban Practitioner (TKP)?
- A: Lean Kanban University is the governing body for this certification. Full details may be found at https://leankanban.com/team-kanban. The training component of the TKP designation is available either by attending one of BERTEIG’s public Learning Events or as part of a designated TKP in-house private Learning Event.
- Q: How do I become certified as a Kanban Management Professional (KMP)?
- A: Lean Kanban University is the governing body for this certification. Full details may be found at https://leankanban.com/kmp-program. Note this is a two-class certification – you must complete BOTH the Kanban Systems Design (KMPI) class AND the Kanban Management Professional (KMPII) class. The training component of the KMP designation is available either by attending BERTEIG public Learning Events or as part of designated in-house private Learning Events.
- Q: How can I claim my CSM or CSPO class for PDUs from PMI?
- A: BERTEIG is a Registered Education Provider (REP) with PMI for the CSM and CSPO courses. Please log in to your account on the PMI Continuing Certification Requirements System (CCRS) website at https://ccrs.pmi.org and choose BERTEIG as your REP when entering in your learning experience. Be sure to choose the appropriate class you took (CSM or CSPO) to claim the appropriate PDUs.
- Q: How can I claim my class (non CSM or CSPO) for PDUs from PMI?
- A: If you have completed a Learning Event with BERTEIG that has appropriate content, once you have completed the class you may find a digital copy of a letter of attendance in our file repository. Please use this letter as evidence of attending the class. If you cannot access the letter of attendance, please either contact your instructor or the course administrator and they will be happy to provide one for you. Note that you will need to retain this letter for audit purposes. Obtaining PDUs is your responsibility once BERTEIG has issued the letter of attendance. For more information, please refer to the PMI CCR Certification Requirements Handbook at https://www.pmi.org/-/media/pmi/documents/public/pdf/certifications/ccr-certification-requirements-handbook.pdf?la=en.
- Q: What if I'm shy and don't like interacting with people?
- A: Our Learning Events are highly interactive... and we make them safe and comfortable for even the most shy people! Our facilitators are experts in creating an environment where everyone is encouraged to participate without forcing you to do things or say things that might be uncomfortable. This is not like school. This is not like a university lecture. This is not like a high-pressure business meeting.
- Q: What if I'm just coming to get a certification?
- A: Okay! We know lots of people who have come to our Learning Events in the past, walked out with a valuable certification, and told us in no uncertain terms that it was the best "course" they had ever attended, they learned far more than they expected, and they are excited to apply what they have learned as soon as possible. But sure, you can attend just for the certification!
- Q: What do I need to bring with me?
- A: For most learning events you do not need to bring anything. During the Learning Event session, you will be asked to keep electronic devices out of the learning environment. You are welcome to bring your own notebook for note-taking but we provide materials for this as well. Check the description of your Learning Event to see if there are any special requirements.
- Q: Do you provide food?
- A: We normally provide coffee, tea, and light snacks in the morning and afternoon of a Learning Event. Lunch is not usually provided.
- Q: Why don't you provide printed books of your slides?
- A: First of all, we usually don't have many slides (if any!) in most of our Learning Events - instead we have a moderate number of handouts. The only exceptions are typically the SAFe training classes where we are a delivery partner and the materials come directly from Scaled Agile - in those classes there are typically a lot of slides and printed books. Secondly, printing heavy books uses a lot of paper and energy for something that most people don't ever refer back to after their "course" is finished. Third, you will learn better by taking your own notes (and we provide a simple structured way to do this)!
- For our own classes (not the Scaled Agile classes), handouts will be provided in electronic form following the class via file sharing system.
- Q: When does my Learning Event start and finish?
- A: Normally our Learning Events start at 8:30 sharp and end by 5:00pm. Some Learning Events may have other schedules. Please read the page about your particular Learning Event to know exactly what time it starts and ends.
- Q: Do you offer your Learning Events as private in-house sessions?
- A: Yes. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information and to receive a quote. Typically in-house sessions are scheduled six or more weeks after a contract has been signed - please ask for a quote as soon as possible if you think your need is urgent! We can also create custom Learning Events for an additional fee. We even do train-the-trainer programs for larger organizations who wish to leverage in-house staff. Generally, we avoid doing the CSM and CSPO Learning Events in-house and encourage you to come with your group to a public session.
- Q: What if I have an emergency and have to leave for some/part/most of the class?
- A: Depends on the emergency. If it is a medical emergency for yourself or a family member, we will work with you to either re-schedule or refund your money depending on circumstances. We don't have a fixed policy about this. For work related emergencies, we will not issue a refund, but will offer a spot to you at a future course at a 50% discount rate.
- Q: Do you recommend any supplemental learning resources?
- A: Yes. We have a list of recommended reading for agility that is organized by type of learning event.
- Q: Does BERTEIG partner with others to advertise and deliver training?
- A: Yes. We partner with training resellers who can reach different people than we can. If you have a question about our resellers or if you are interested in establishing a partnership relationship please contact email@example.com.
- Q: I am a trainer myself. Can I list my courses on this website?
- A: No. This is one type of partnership that we are considering but have not yet established. If you are interested in this type of partnership, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.