Upcoming Team Kanban Practitioner® (TKP)
This 1-day course teaches the basics of the Kanban Method® and serves as the entry-level and starting point to an Alternative Path to Agility.
Achieve the Team Kanban Practitioner® credential with the LeanKanban University® by successfully completing this course.
Praise for BERTEIG
Team Kanban Practitioner® (TKP) Training
Good insight into Kanban. You can learn what Kanban is and, what's more important, what Kanban is not. Also, it's inspiring - I doubt if there's anyone who graduated from this course and didn't start their personal Kanban board next week.
Product Owner, Development Manager, January 2019
James is extremely knowledgeable in Kanban methods and a skilled teacher. Highly recommend!
Agile Coach in Training, November 2018
Found this to be great introduction to the principles of Kanban. James is a great facilitator and his passion for Kanban was evident.
Product/ People Manager, September 2018
Great intro to Kanban! The Berteig trainers are knowledgeable and enthusiastic.
Scrum Master, September 2018
If you want to know what Kanban is all about, then this is the course to take. Equally effective to the CSM course.
Consultant, June 2018
An excellent course that could change the fortunes of any company. Berteig has the right people to help any company.
CEO, December 2017
...course is great in understanding key details about Kanban and all the theoretical knowledge.
Business Analyst, December 2017
The Team Kanban Practitioner training delivered by Travis is a great way to be introduced to the Kanban Method. You'll learn things you can apply in your workplace the day you get back!
CTO, June 2017
This training has given me simple methods to see at a glance what’s on my plate and organize my work flow.
Team Developer, June 2017
Very knowledgeable instructor. Covered a lot with real world examples.
Travis has managed to clear my confusion in a day. I've lived with this confusion for over 2 years. Thank you Travis.
By successfully completing this course you will be able to:
- Improve the productivity of your teams.
- Improve the lives of your team members.
- Be familiar with the Kanban Method.
- Design and implement a basic Kanban board.
- Understand work item types and the risks associated with specific work items.
- Be familiar with a variety of different Team Kanban board designs and styles and know how to choose a design that is best suited for their context.
- Be aware of the training roadmap and the value and benefits to be derived at each step on the ‘Alternative Path to Agility’.
Who Should Attend?
Team members in professional services roles whose employer wishes to explore and pursue an Alternative Path to Agility.
Those who feel overburdened and wish to find some respite to enable them to “get things done” with quality, improved speed, and predictability.
Managers and team members who need help focusing on what to work on now, what to leave until later and what to discard altogether.
Those who want relief from overburdening so that they can take pride of workmanship and do good quality work in an effective manner.
About Your Instructors
Travis Birch Partner, Accredited Kanban Trainer, Principal Consultant
In 2007, Travis’ classical ballet career was ended by injuries. He figuratively fell off the stage and into a Scrum class. He began his new career as an apprentice Scrum trainer under the mentorship of Mishkin Berteig. That soon lead to training and consulting engagements with the likes of Blackberry and Royal Bank of Canada. He would go on to lead engagements with the Government of Ontario, LoyaltyOne and Telus.
Travis has over a decade of hands on experience helping leaders and organizations achieve business agility, fitness and survivability, customer focus, service-orientation, sustainability, flow of customer value and continuous improvement. Provides pragmatic, evidence-based advice and employs data-driven and humane methods and techniques that enable people and organizations to evolve their own solutions and processes towards success in their own unique business contexts.
Travis considers Kanban’s systematic yet humane approach to evolving organizations a key differentiator to other organizational change approaches. Travis brings curiosity, enthusiasm, respect and empathy to his work as a trainer and consultant.
Select Client List:
- Banking: Scotiabank, BMO, RBC, CIBC, TD, Hometrust
- Insurance: Great West Life, Sun Life, The Economical Insurance Group, Alberta Motor Association
- Other Financial: CapitalOne, Mastercard, Healthcare of Ontario Pension Plan, LPL Financial, Zomaron
- Loyalty: Loyalty One, Aimia
- Telecom: Telus, Bell Canada, Blackberry (RIM)
- Charitable: Sick Kids Foundation, World Vision Canada
- Canadian Tire, Honda Canada, DealerTrack, Government of Ontario, Bruce Power, MyPlanet Digital, Platinum Edge
Certifications and Accreditations:
Accredited Kanban Trainer (AKT), Kanban Coaching Professional (KCP), Kanban Management Professional (KMP)
SAFe Program Consultant (SPC4)
Certified Scrum Professional (CSP), Certified Scrum Master (CSM), Certified Scrum Product Owner (CSPO)
Professional Scrum Master (PSM1)
Certified Agile Leader (CAL1)
Master of OpenAgile
“Authenticity and passion is at the core of Travis as a person—qualities that transfer into making him a fantastic Agile Coach. Travis connects with people, understands them and sees their strengths, and is able to bring people to be their best. I have had the privilege to work with Travis as my Agile Coach on an extremely challenging Agile organizational transformation. I could not have asked for a better partner, giving me relevant advice and perspective when I needed it and kicking my… when I needed that too. If you are looking for help or to accelerate your journey as an Agile organization, you should connect with Travis.” – Martin Aziz, Director Agile Practices & Business Transformation, PMO, LoyaltyOne, 2018
“I recently took my Kanban System Design and Kanban Management Professional certifications with Travis as the instructor. His deep understanding of the topics, clear presentation and excellent support throughout the class made the learning experience enjoyable and has made me confident I truly understand 100% of the content. I would recommend him highly as an instructor and as a consultant because of his knowledge, communication skills and his ability to reason things through to solutions that make sense.” – Jim Bennet, Agile and Lean Siz Sigma Strategist, Manager, 2017
James Steele Senior Consultant
James is a seasoned Entrepreneur and Management Consultant with over two decades of information technology and business operations experience in the public and private sectors. James is recognized for his ability to work with organizations in helping them attain their objectives using incremental, evolutionary process, and systems change methods.
His exceptional business acumen and experience have been continuously called upon by companies looking to improve their business and build enterprise software systems. He has a proven track record for successfully managing and coaching teams that deliver enterprise software systems using Agile principles, the Kanban Method, and the Scrum Framework
James is passionate about working with leaders and teams to help them foster a mindset of continuous improvement that is founded upon values of integrity, trust, and respect.
James holds the prestigious Accredited Kanban Trainer designation from Lean Kanban University.
- Over 20 years experience working with managers in organizational development
- Over 7 years in the executive-level position of Chief Technology Officer (CTO)
- Over 3 years working as a mentor assisting organizations achieve the benefits of Agile
All attendees receive a free electronic copy of ‘Kanban’ by David J. Anderson, that outlines how to use Kanban in your existing processes, to catalyze cultural change and deliver better business agility.
- Q: Prices are in what currency?
- A: Canadian dollars.
- Q: What methods of payment do you accept?
- A: Visa, Mastercard and American Express. We do not invoice for training. Under special circumstances we can also accept wire transfers, personal cheques, cash, PayPal and purchase orders. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for special payment arrangements.
- Q: I need to cancel my place due to... what do I do about it?
- A: If your request to cancel is made ten (10) business days prior to the Learning Event, then you will be issued a refund and your spot will be made available for someone else. Please contact email@example.com with the order number you wish to have refunded. Within ten (10) business days, no refund is possible for any reason, but we will offer you a spot in a future class at 50% of the normal list price (no other discounts will apply). In the rare case of family or medical emergencies, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org as soon as you can and we will work with you to find a suitable solution.
- Q: I need to change the course date I am registered for due to... what do I do about it?
- A: As with cancellation, if your request to change dates is made ten (10) business days prior to the Learning Event, then you can be moved. Please contact email@example.com with your name, current course date and requested new course date.Within ten (10) business days, no changes are possible for any reason, but we will offer you a spot in another class at 50% of the normal list price (no other discounts will apply). In the rare case of family or medical emergencies, please contact us as soon as you can and we will work with you to find a suitable solution.
- Q: Can I send someone else in my place?
- A: Yes. You are welcome to change the registration information for a spot at a Learning Event at any time. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with the details including your own registration information and the full name, email address and phone number of the person who will attend in your place. There is no charge for such a change.
- Q: I found "the same" course for less... will you give me a discount?
- A: No. You have registered for a premier learning event, not a clone of some other course.
- Q: Do you ever offer discounts?
- A: Yes. Everyone who attends one of our Learning Event is given a discount code to use on other courses or to pass along to coworkers, associates, family and friends. Also, if you belong to an organization that sends more than 5 people to our training courses, you may be eligible for our Loyalty Program. The more people attending our training, the higher the discount available. Please contact us at email@example.com to find out more.
- Also, we offer "Early Bird" discounts on some Learning Events. We encourage you to register early to take advantage of this offer.
- Q: What if I register, then later discover a Loyalty Program discount was applicable. Can I get the discount applied retroactively?
- A: Yes, you can. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with your order number for which you would like the discount applied and your Loyalty Program coupon code.
- Q: Is your training tax deductible and can I get a T2202A slip?
- A: No, our training is not eligible for tax deductions. We do not give T2202A slips. T2202A slips are usually issued from Post Secondary Education Institutions like a college or university. We are not such an institution. Purchasing our training is more like purchasing a book or a ticket to an event.
- Q: How do I become a Certified ScrumMaster (CSM)?
- A: Scrum Alliance is the governing body for this certification and BERTEIG is licensed to deliver the training portion. Full details may be found at https://www.scrumalliance.org/get-certified/practitioners/csm-certification. The training component of the CSM designation is available either by attending one of BERTEIG’s public Learning Events or as part of a designated CSM in-house private Learning Event.
- Q: What is included in becoming a Certified ScrumMaster (CSM)?
- A: The Certified ScrumMaster training that we offer includes all the materials that are needed to complete the training part of the certification (part 1/2). There is no extra fee for the online test (part 2/2), it is included in your registration with us. Once you have completed the training, you will receive an email within 1 week to complete the remaining step to get your certification. Full instructions will be provided in class, but don't worry, the test is easy! If you want to study, please consider reading the Scrum Guide.
- Q: How do I become a Certified Scrum Product Owner (CSPO)?
- A: Scrum Alliance is the governing body for this certification and BERTEIG is licensed to deliver the training portion. Full details may be found at https://www.scrumalliance.org/get-certified/practitioners/cspo-certification. The training component of the CSPO designation is available either by attending one of BERTEIG’s public Learning Events or as part of a designated CSPO in-house private Learning Event.
- Q: How do I get SAFe® Scaled Agilist Certification (SA - from Scaled Agile)?
- A: Scaled Agile is the governing body for this certification and BERTEIG is licensed to deliver the training portion. Full details may be found at https://www.scaledagile.com/certification/courses/leading-safe. The training component of the SA designation is available either by attending one of BERTEIG’s public Learning Events or as part of a designated SA in-house private Learning Event.
- Q: How do I become certified as an OpenAgile Team Member (OATM)?
- A: The OpenAgile Center for Learning is the governing body for this certification. Full details may be found at http://www.openagile.com/TeamMember. The training component of the OATM designation is available either by attending one of BERTEIG’s public Learning Events or as part of a designated OATM in-house private Learning Event.
- Q: How do I become a PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)?
- A: The Project Management Institute is the governing body for this certification. Full details may be found at https://www.pmi.org/certifications/types/agile-acp. The training component of the PMI-ACP designation is available either by attending one of BERTEIG’s public Learning Events or as part of a designated PMI-ACP in-house private Learning Event.
- Q: How do I become certified as a Team Kanban Practitioner (TKP)?
- A: Lean Kanban University is the governing body for this certification. Full details may be found at https://leankanban.com/team-kanban. The training component of the TKP designation is available either by attending one of BERTEIG’s public Learning Events or as part of a designated TKP in-house private Learning Event.
- Q: How do I become certified as a Kanban Management Professional (KMP)?
- A: Lean Kanban University is the governing body for this certification. Full details may be found at https://leankanban.com/kmp-program. Note this is a two-class certification – you must complete BOTH the Kanban Systems Design (KMPI) class AND the Kanban Management Professional (KMPII) class. The training component of the KMP designation is available either by attending BERTEIG public Learning Events or as part of designated in-house private Learning Events.
- Q: How can I claim my CSM or CSPO class for PDUs from PMI?
- A: BERTEIG is a Registered Education Provider (REP) with PMI for the CSM and CSPO courses. Please log in to your account on the PMI Continuing Certification Requirements System (CCRS) website at https://ccrs.pmi.org and choose BERTEIG as your REP when entering in your learning experience. Be sure to choose the appropriate class you took (CSM or CSPO) to claim the appropriate PDUs.
- Q: How can I claim my class (non CSM or CSPO) for PDUs from PMI?
- A: If you have completed a Learning Event with BERTEIG that has appropriate content, once you have completed the class you may find a digital copy of a letter of attendance in our file repository. Please use this letter as evidence of attending the class. If you cannot access the letter of attendance, please either contact your instructor or the course administrator and they will be happy to provide one for you. Note that you will need to retain this letter for audit purposes. Obtaining PDUs is your responsibility once BERTEIG has issued the letter of attendance. For more information, please refer to the PMI CCR Certification Requirements Handbook at https://www.pmi.org/-/media/pmi/documents/public/pdf/certifications/ccr-certification-requirements-handbook.pdf?la=en.
- Q: What if I'm shy and don't like interacting with people?
- A: Our Learning Events are highly interactive... and we make them safe and comfortable for even the most shy people! Our facilitators are experts in creating an environment where everyone is encouraged to participate without forcing you to do things or say things that might be uncomfortable. This is not like school. This is not like a university lecture. This is not like a high-pressure business meeting.
- Q: What if I'm just coming to get a certification?
- A: Okay! We know lots of people who have come to our Learning Events in the past, walked out with a valuable certification, and told us in no uncertain terms that it was the best "course" they had ever attended, they learned far more than they expected, and they are excited to apply what they have learned as soon as possible. But sure, you can attend just for the certification!
- Q: What do I need to bring with me?
- A: For most learning events you do not need to bring anything. During the Learning Event session, you will be asked to keep electronic devices out of the learning environment. You are welcome to bring your own notebook for note-taking but we provide materials for this as well. Check the description of your Learning Event to see if there are any special requirements.
- Q: Do you provide food?
- A: We normally provide coffee, tea, and light snacks in the morning and afternoon of a Learning Event. Lunch is not usually provided.
- Q: Why don't you provide printed books of your slides?
- A: First of all, we usually don't have many slides (if any!) in most of our Learning Events - instead we have a moderate number of handouts. The only exceptions are typically the SAFe training classes where we are a delivery partner and the materials come directly from Scaled Agile - in those classes there are typically a lot of slides and printed books. Secondly, printing heavy books uses a lot of paper and energy for something that most people don't ever refer back to after their "course" is finished. Third, you will learn better by taking your own notes (and we provide a simple structured way to do this)!
- For our own classes (not the Scaled Agile classes), handouts will be provided in electronic form following the class via file sharing system.
- Q: When does my Learning Event start and finish?
- A: Normally our Learning Events start at 8:30 sharp and end by 5:00pm. Some Learning Events may have other schedules. Please read the page about your particular Learning Event to know exactly what time it starts and ends.
- Q: Do you offer your Learning Events as private in-house sessions?
- A: Yes. Please contact email@example.com for more information and to receive a quote. Typically in-house sessions are scheduled six or more weeks after a contract has been signed - please ask for a quote as soon as possible if you think your need is urgent! We can also create custom Learning Events for an additional fee. We even do train-the-trainer programs for larger organizations who wish to leverage in-house staff. Generally, we avoid doing the CSM and CSPO Learning Events in-house and encourage you to come with your group to a public session.
- Q: What if I have an emergency and have to leave for some/part/most of the class?
- A: Depends on the emergency. If it is a medical emergency for yourself or a family member, we will work with you to either re-schedule or refund your money depending on circumstances. We don't have a fixed policy about this. For work related emergencies, we will not issue a refund, but will offer a spot to you at a future course at a 50% discount rate.
- Q: Do you recommend any supplemental learning resources?
- A: Yes. We have a list of recommended reading for agility that is organized by type of learning event.
- Q: Does BERTEIG partner with others to advertise and deliver training?
- A: Yes. We partner with training resellers who can reach different people than we can. If you have a question about our resellers or if you are interested in establishing a partnership relationship please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Q: I am a trainer myself. Can I list my courses on this website?
- A: No. This is one type of partnership that we are considering but have not yet established. If you are interested in this type of partnership, please contact email@example.com.