BERTEIG is going virtual.
Receive the same internationally-recognized certifications with the same excellence you’ve come to expect from BERTEIG in-person training.
Upcoming Professional Scrum Master™ (PSM I)
This 2-day PSM is the cutting-edge course for effective Scrum Masters and anyone coaching an organization towards business agility.
Training materials are created and maintained by Ken Schwaber and the Professional Scrum Trainer™ community – always in tune with what’s happening in software development organizations and up-to-date with latest practices.
You’ll receive a PSM I assessment token after the workshop and discounts on PSM II & PSM III with Scrum.org™.
Praise for BERTEIG
Professional Scrum Master™ (PSM I) Training
An accelerated, first-hand way to learn agile and scrum fundamentals. Strong facilitation and participation.
Senior Consultant, December 2018
Great instructor. He made it easy and fun to learn Scrum as well as create an actual product for real world application. He also showed how a group of strangers could unify as a team. I am excited to try and apply this in my career going forward.
Senior Business Consultant, October 2018
I was so glad that I decided to take this course. The insights received were very useful and practical. Looking forward to implementing some of the values and practices learned.
Scrum Master, September 2018
Instructors are highly energetic and have a strong understanding of the concepts.
Business Transformation Consultant, September 2018
The Berteig CSM course tapped into my knowledge of scrum and taught me concepts I didn't know before. Learning is a gift and I am glad I took this course!
Product / Project Manager, January 2018
Passionate instructors in a setting with intelligent peers. Worth attending!
Director, January 2018
Instructor's acumen and understanding of Scrum was superb. The course is very well structured, providing a lot of pertinent information and practical exercises, without overwhelming the student. Punctuality was superb and it really added to the positive experience. Best two day course I have ever attended.
Project Manager / Consultant, December 2017
I found this training highly engaging, valuable, and it's completely worth it.
Senior Business Analyst, December 2017
I highly recommend taking the course. Excellent way of coaching.
President, November 2017
Very engaging learning experience. The group work was intense! And sooo applicable to the real-world.
Director of Project Management, November 2017
This was an intense, dynamic, and very engaging introduction to Scrum that made the framework easily accessible and understandable - despite the fact that I am not a software professional.
Principal, November 2017
I found the CSM course insightful, interesting and challenging. I highly recommend the class.
Senior Director / PMO, October 2017
felt a strong need to acquire the knowledge of the fundamentals so that I could help correct the misrepresentations of agile in my company. I believe strongly in the framework and its relevance and as such feel obligated to defend it fiercely.
Infrastructure / Application Change Manager, November 2017
The team provided a well organized classroom environment that was optimal for learning and my confidence moving forward as a Scrum Master.
Product Owner, November 2017
The hands-on approach made learning agile principles effortless.
Project Manager, November 2017
Left a very clear vision of what agile should be.
QA Manager, November 2017
Director, October 2017
This was a great course with an awesome interactive activity which allowed me to appreciate what the developers on my team go through when new requirements are thrown at them.
Agile PM, October 2017
I found the CSM course insightful, interesting and challenging. I highly recommend the class.
Senior Director / PMO, October 2017
By successfully completing this course you will be able to:
- Remove obstacles that prevent teams from achieving high-performance.
- Enable a team to follow the Scrum process to deliver great products and continuously improve their quality.
- Describe Scrum to others including the roles, meetings, artifacts & principles.
- Identify the environments in which the application of Scrum would lead to excellent results.
- Describe how the Scrum Framework is based on empirical process.
- Those who pass the assessment will receive the industry recognized PSM I Certification.
- Welcome & Introductions
- Scrum Theory and Principles
- The Scrum Framework
- About Sprint Backlogs
- Product Backlog Items
- Sprint Backlogs
- The Definition of Done
- Improving Quality
- What Scrum Is About
- Acceptance Criteria
- Running a Scrum Project
- Working with People and Teams
- Scrum in your Organization
- Estimation & Planning
- Return on Investment (ROI)
- Different Techniques
- The Role of the Scrum Master
About Your Instructors
Forbes Benning Agile Coach & Trainer
Forbes Benning began using the Agile philosophy in 2008 and wonders how he ever lived without it. Now Forbes wants to share that knowledge and experience with other teams. He has experience consulting, coaching, facilitation and team building in large enterprise settings. With a focus on methods such as Scrum, Forbes is committed to helping transform people, process and culture in organizations.
Forbes was active in helping projects succeed for 10 years before becoming a PMP in 2005. He then received certification as a ScrumMaster® in 2008. He is dedicated to sharing this knowledge to help other teams succeed.
Forbes has worked as a ScrumMaster to assist teams in their adoption of Scrum. He has also assisted firms in the financial, gaming and automotive sector with their Agile transformations, including Agile teamwork, Agile project and product management, and Agile consulting and training at the executive level.
Forbes has been a long-time volunteer with the PMI-SWOC. He managed the organization of the regional PMI conference in 2009 and 2010.
Now he is also working on enterprise cloud transformation and has become an AWS Architect (Amazon Web Services) and an AWS Certified Solutions Architect to help with customer journeys.
Select Client List:
Certent, CIHI (Canadian Institute of Health Information), City of Toronto, Finastra (D+H), Government of Ontario, Great West Life, Intuit Canada, Kijiji (eBay), Nutreco, SafeNet, ScotiaBank, Seneca College, TD Canada Trust, Upstream Works, PPI, CoreSolutions, Mostly Digital, Diamond L Healthcare Software Solutions, Gilchrist Games, PMI-SWOC, Autodata, The Ontario Association of Community Care Access Centres, The Ontario Ministry of Environment
Certifications and Accreditations:
Professional Scrum Master I + II (PSM I and PSM II), Professional Scrum Product Owner I (PSPO I)
Certified ScrumMaster (CSM), Certified Scrum Product Owner (CSPO)
Team Kanban Practitioner (TKP), Kanban Management Professional (KMP)
AWS Architect, Project Management Professional (PMP), Certified SAFe Agilist (Leading SAFe)
Bachelor of Arts (History) from the University of Western Ontario
Over 23 years helping projects succeed
Over 11 years experience helping teams adopt Scrum and other Agile methods
5 years of experience training teams and organizations on Scrum
Testimonials / References
“I thought the class was great with Forbes providing real world examples and experiences.” – Product Manager
David Sabine Professional Scrum Trainer™, PST
His career highlights the intersection of business, technology, art and education. With his broad experience, he helps organizations and teams understand agility at all levels: practice and delivery, leadership and stewardship, organizational design and culture.
The more you train, the more you save.
- Generous discounts for both public and private training
- Corporate dashboard showing your employees' progress
- Training investment protection plan
- Private Ask-Me-Anything (AMA) sessions with BERTEIG consultants
- A curated library of key management, leadership and Agile resources
- Discounts on consulting, assessment and coaching services
- Q: Prices are in what currency?
- A: Canadian dollars.
- Q: What methods of payment do you accept?
- A: Visa, Mastercard and American Express. We do not invoice for training. Under special circumstances we can also accept wire transfers, personal cheques, PayPal and Purchase Orders. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for special payment arrangements.
- Q: I need to cancel my place due to... what do I do about it?
- A: If your request to cancel is made ten (10) business days prior to the Learning Event, then you will be issued a refund and your spot will be made available for someone else. Please contact email@example.com with the order number you wish to have refunded.
Within ten (10) business days, no refund is possible for any reason, but we will offer you a spot in a future class at 50% of the normal list price (no other discounts will apply).
In the rare case of family or medical emergencies, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org as soon as you can and we will work with you to find a suitable solution.
- Q: I need to change the course date I am registered for due to... what do I do about it?
- A: As with cancellation, if your request to change dates is made ten (10) business days prior to the Learning Event, then you can be moved. Please contact email@example.com with your name, current course date and requested new course date.
Within ten (10) business days, no changes are possible for any reason, but we will offer you a spot in another class at 50% of the normal list price (no other discounts will apply).
In the rare case of family or medical emergencies, please contact us as soon as you can and we will work with you to find a suitable solution.
- Q: Can I send someone else in my place?
- A: Yes, you are welcome to change the registration information for a spot in a Learning Event at any time. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with the details including your own registration information and the full name, email address and phone number of the person who will attend in your place. There is no charge for such a change.
- Q: I found "the same" course for less... will you give me a discount?
- A: No, you have registered for a premium learning event with BERTEG, not a clone of some other course.
- Q: Do you ever offer discounts?
- A: Yes, everyone who attends one of our Learning Event is given a discount code to use on other courses or to pass along to coworkers, associates, family and friends.
Also, if you belong to an organization that sends more than 3 people to our training courses, you may be eligible for the BERTEIG Loyalty Program. The more people that attend our training, the higher the discount available. Please contact us at email@example.com to find out more.
- Also, we offer "Early Bird" discounts on some Learning Events. We encourage you to register early to take advantage of these offers.
- Q: What if I register, then later discover a Loyalty Program discount was applicable. Can I get the discount applied retroactively?
- A: In most cases, yes you can. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with your order number for which you would like the discount applied and your company details.
- Q: Is your training tax deductible and can I get a T2202A slip?
- A: No, our training is not eligible for tax deductions. We do not give T2202A slips. T2202A slips are usually issued from Post Secondary Education Institutions like a college or university. We are not such an institution. Purchasing our training is more like purchasing a book or a ticket to an event.
- Q: How do I become a Certified ScrumMaster® (CSM)?
- A: Scrum Alliance® is the governing body for this certification and BERTEIG is licensed to deliver the training portion. Full details may be found at https://www.scrumalliance.org/get-certified/practitioners/csm-certification. The training component of the CSM designation is available either by attending one of BERTEIG’s virtual public Learning Events or as part of a designated CSM in-house private Learning Event.
- Q: What is included in becoming a Certified ScrumMaster® (CSM)?
- A: The Certified ScrumMaster® (CSM) online training that we offer includes all the materials that are needed to complete the 'training part' of the certification. There is no extra fee for the CSM online test, it is included in your registration with us. Once you have completed the training, you will receive an email within 1 week to complete the remaining step to get your certification. Full instructions will be provided in class, but don't worry, the test is straightforward! If you want to study, please consider reading the Scrum Guide.
- Q: How do I become a Certified Scrum Product Owner® (CSPO)?
- A: Scrum Alliance® is the governing body for this certification and BERTEIG is licensed to deliver the training portion. Full details may be found at https://www.scrumalliance.org/get-certified/practitioners/cspo-certification. The training component of the CSPO designation is available either by attending one of BERTEIG’s virtual public Learning Events or as part of a designated CSPO in-house private Learning Event.
- Q: How do I get SAFe® Scaled Agilist Certification (SA) from Scaled Agile®?
- A: Scaled Agile® is the governing body for this certification and BERTEIG is licensed to deliver the training portion. Full details may be found at https://www.scaledagile.com/certification/courses/leading-safe. The training component of the SA® designation is available only by attending BERTEIG’s virtual designated SA in-house private Learning Event.
We do not offer SAFe® training as a public enrolment course as it is highly contextual curriculum.
- Q: How do I become certified as an OpenAgile® Team Member (OATM)?
- A: The OpenAgile Center for Learning is the governing body for this certification. Full details may be found at http://www.openagile.com/TeamMember. The training component of the OATM designation is available either by attending a virtual designated OATM in-house private Learning Event.
- Q: How do I become a PMI® Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)?
- A: The Project Management Institute® (PMI) is the governing body for this certification. Full details may be found at https://www.pmi.org/certifications/types/agile-acp. The training component of the PMI-ACP® designation is available either by attending a designated virtual PMI-ACP in-house private Learning Event.
- Q: How do I become certified as a Team Kanban Practitioner® (TKP)?
- A: Kanban University® (KU) is the governing body for this certification. Full details may be found at https://leankanban.com/team-kanban. The training component of the TKP designation is available either by attending one of BERTEIG’s virtual public Learning Events or as part of a designated virtual TKP in-house private Learning Event.
- Q: How do I become certified as a Kanban Management Professional (KMP)?
- A: Kanban University® (KU) is the governing body for this certification. Full details may be found at https://leankanban.com/kmp-program. Note this is a two-class certification – you must complete BOTH the Kanban Systems Design® (KMP I) class AND the Kanban System Improvement® (KMP II) class. The training component of the KMP® designation is available either by attending BERTEIG virtual public Learning Events or as part of designated in-house private Learning Events.
- Q:How do I become a Scrum Inc. Scrum Master Product Owner® (SSMPO)?
- A: Scrum Inc® is the governing body for this certification and BERTEIG is licensed to deliver the training portion. Full details may be found at https://agileeducation.org. The training component of the SSMPO designation is available either by attending one of BERTEIG’s virtual public Learning Events or as part of a designated in-house private Learning Event.
- Q:How can I claim my CSM® or CSPO® or SSMPO® class for PDUs from PMI®?
- A: Please log in to your account on the PMI Continuing Certification Requirements System (CCRS) website at https://ccrs.pmi.org and enter the details of your learning experience to claim the hours. Be sure to enter all the details of the class you took (CSM or CSPO or SSMPO) to claim the appropriate PDUs (16 for 2-day and 24 for 3-day).
- Q: How can I claim other BERTEIG event PDUs from PMI®?
- A: If you have completed a Learning Event with BERTEIG that has appropriate content e.g. BERTEIG MicroLearning™ you may claim the PDUs as private learning hours on the PMI-CCRS website.
- If asked, you may need to show evidence of registration or attendance for the class. Obtaining PDUs is your responsibility and for more information, please refer to the PMI-CCR Certification Requirements Handbook at https://www.pmi.org/-/media/pmi/documents/public/pdf/certifications/ccr-certification-requirements-handbook.pdf?la=en.
- Q: What if I'm shy and don't like interacting with people?
- A: Our virtual Learning Events are highly interactive and we make them safe and comfortable for even the most shy people! Our facilitators are experts in creating an online environment where everyone is encouraged to participate without forcing you to do things or say things that might be uncomfortable. This is not like school. This is not like a university lecture. This is not like a high-pressure business meeting.
- Q: What if I'm just coming to get a certification?
- A: Okay! We know lots of people who have come to our virtual Learning Events in the past to only achieve a valuable certification. They have told us in no uncertain terms that it was still the best "course" they have ever attended, they learned far more than they expected to, and that they were excited to apply what they learned as soon as possible. Sure, you can attend just for the certification!
- Q: What do I need to do to prepare for the online course?
- A:There are three things you must do beforehand to prepare for BERTEIG online Learning Events.
1. Complete pre-work at training.berteig.com
2. Set up Zoom for video conferencing
3. Get familiar with Miro whiteboard collaboration
- For most Learning Events, there is some pre-work which must be completed before the class begins. Failure to do so, will mean rescheduling and application of the $150 Rescheduling Fee.
- Check the description of your Learning Event to see if there are any special requirements.
- Q: Do I need a laptop or can I use my phone?
- A: You will need a laptop or desktop for the BERTEIG Learning events. Handheld devices such as tablets and phones are not suitable for the interactive nature of the classes.
- Q: Do you provide copies of your slides?
- A: First of all, we usually don't use slides in our Learning Events - instead we have a moderate number of handouts and these are accessed in one place using the BERTEIG Learning Management System (LMS).
- The only exception to this is the SAFe training classes where we are a delivery partner and the materials come directly from Scaled Agile - in those classes there are typically a lot of slides to go through in the training.
- Q: When does my Learning Event start and finish?
- A: Normally our Learning Events start at 9:00am sharp and end by 4:30pm (Eastern Time +5:00 GMT). Some Learning Events may have other schedules. Please read the page about your particular Learning Event to know exactly what time it starts and ends. Be mindful that some courses have a substantial Theory portion that needs to be completed prior to the Classroom start.
- Q: Do you offer your virtual Learning Events as private sessions?
- A: Yes. Please contact email@example.com for more information and to receive a quote. Typically 'in-house' virtual sessions are scheduled six or more weeks after a contract has been signed - please ask for a quote as soon as possible if you think your need is urgent!
We can also create custom online Learning Events for an additional fee. We even do train-the-trainer programs for larger organizations who wish to leverage in-house staff.
Generally, we avoid doing the CSM, CSPO and SSMPO Learning Events as private virtual classes, and we encourage you to attend with your group to a public scheduled session.
- Q: What if I have an emergency and have to leave for some/part/most of the virtual class?
- A: It depends on the emergency. If it is a medical emergency for yourself or a family member, we will work with you to either re-schedule or refund your money depending on circumstances. We don't have a fixed policy about this.
For work related emergencies, we will not issue a refund, but will offer a spot to you at a future course at a 50% discount rate.
- Q: What does it mean when a session is "Guaranteed To Run"?
- A: Most BERTEIG Learning Events are given this designation, which means that if it's scheduled, we will run the class, even with just a few people registered. We do this to respect the time you have allotted to learning. Occasionally something may prevent us from running the class e.g. a health emergency, however we will do everything we can under normal circumstances to run scheduled classes; we take this seriously and it is our commitment to you.
- Q: Do you recommend any supplemental learning resources?
- A: Yes. We have a list of recommended reading for agility that is organized by type of BERTEIG Learning Event.
- Q: Does BERTEIG partner with others to advertise and deliver training?
- A: Yes. We partner with training resellers who can reach a different audience than the companies we normally serve. If you have a question about our resellers or if you are interested in establishing a partnership relationship please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Q: I am a trainer myself. Can I list my courses on this website?
- A: No. This is one type of partnership that we are considering but have not yet established. If you are interested in this type of partnership, please contact email@example.com.
The PMI® Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute®.